What People are Doing in Winnetka
Lake Shore News (Wilmette, Illinois), 17 Apr 1913, p. 6

Media Type:
Item Type:
Brief notices of social activities in Winnetka, Illinois
Date of Publication:
17 Apr 1913
Geographic Coverage:
  • Illinois, United States
    Latitude: 42.10808 Longitude: -87.7359
Copyright Statement:
Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Terms of Use:
Image may be used with credit to Wilmette Public Library
Wilmette Public Library
WWW address
Agency street/mail address

1242 Wilmette Avenue
Wilmette, IL
U.S.A. Phone: 847-256-6930

Full Text

Mr. Perry Buchanan is out again after a two weeks' illness. Mr. Ludlow J. Washburn is in California on a business trip. The Chaska club dinner last Saturday evening was a great success. Mr. William Spencer entertained a few friends Monday of this week. Mr. E. J. Allsebrook of 747 Lincoln avenue is in Helena, Arkansas, on business. Mr. Paul Stubbe has accepted a position with the North Shore Gas company. Miss Velma Voltz, who has been ill the past ten days, is able to be out again. Mr. and Ms. William Biggs have left Winnetka and are now living in Chicago. Mr. Louis Affeldt was taken in the Evanston hospital last Friday for an operation. Mr. Sidney Greeley is at home for a short visit. He is to return to school next week. Miss Mary Garretson enjoyed a few days' vacation at her home in Salem, Iowa, this week. Mr. Martin Kloopfer returned Friday from Peoria to recuperate from an attack of appendicitis. Two of the little Voltz children of 510 Linden street are the latest victims of scarlet fever. Mr. J. M. Creed and family of Chicago have moved into their new home at 806 Foxdale avenue. Mr. De Lay, a Chicago artist, has purchased the Monrad house on Oak street and is to move in this week. Miss Josephine Russella Dyer of Hyde Park was the weekend guest of Miss Frye, Elm Street and Sheridan road.d Mr. and Mrs. E. M. Marble are again at home after spending the winter in the south. They returned to Winnetka Friday. Mr. and Mrs. David A. Winship have moved into the house at 995 Elm street, formerly occupied by Mr. and Mrs. R. S. Winship. Master John Washburn o 460 Maple avenue is improving rapidly from an attack of scarlet fever and expects to be out this week. The view along Railroad Avenue has been improved by the equipment of the stores of the Winnetka Merchandise company with new awnings. Mr. Arthur Schroeder has been ill the past week and has been obliged to give up his work for a time. He is under the care of a specialist from Chicago. Mr. Donald Knox, who returned from the Evanston hospital last week after an illness of scarlet fever, has had a relapse and has been quite ill the past week. Mr. Victor Freeder of 975 Oak street has bought the Woolfolk house on Provident avenue and intends to remodel it and make a two family apartment house. Mr. Carl Heinzen has sold his home on Lloyd place and is to leave Winnetka. Mr. Heinzen and family, who are now in France, are to live in Chicago on their return. Mr. and Mrs. James Davies of Harrison, Michigan, who have been visiting their son, Rev. J. W. F. Davies, have gone to Lane, S. D., for a visit before returning to heir home. Mr. and Mrs. Karl Monrad are staying with Mrs. Beman at 888 Oak Street for the present. Mrs. Beman has just returned to Winnetka after spending the winter in New York. The committee in charge of the Winnetka dances wishes to announce than an extra dance will be given at the Woman's club building on Thursday evening, April 24. All are cordially invited. Mr. Gus Hoyt of 979 Cherry Street was taken to the Evanston hospital Monday morning. Mr. Hoyt has not been well for several weeks. He was taken dangerously ill Monday and was rushed to the hospital. Dr. and Mrs. Casey A. Wood have returned from California, where they have spent the last three months, and are staying at the Virginia hotel in Chicago. They are to reopen their Winnetka home in May. Mr. and Mrs. Frederick Dickenson of Pine street will assist the Neighborhood club in their entertainment of May 3. Mr. and Mrs. Dickenson will appear in a little sketch and the club will give the play "The Burglar." Mrs. Elmer E. Adams, who is traveling in the west, was in a railroad wreck on the Union Pacific railway near Cheyenne Falls, Colorado, last Thursday. The train, a double header, ran into a snow slide and was thrown from the track while going at a high rate of speed. There were several killed and many injured. Mrs. Adams escaped with a shaking up and was one of the first rescued from the wreck. She immediately offered her services to the doctors and was of great assistance in caring for the injured.

[Column 2]

Mr. Franklin Callahan of Lincoln avenue is in Louisville, Kentucky on business. Miss Grace Sewell has rented her cottage at 917 Cherry street and has moved to California. Mr. Martin Thorson of 806 Oak street has been appointed auxiliary carrier for the Winnetka post office. Mr. Robert Hudson of Hubbard Woods is at 880 Willow street for a short time. Watch your bicycles. The wheel belonging to the Adams pharmacy was stolen from in front of the store Tuesday. Mrs. L. M. Armsey returns to her home in Olney, Illinois, Thursday after a visit of six weeks with her son, Mr. Elmer E. Adams. Word has been received of the death of Mr. Joe Strand, an old-time resident of Winnetka. Particulars are lacking as to the cause. Many of the older residents will remember Mr. Strand. Mrs. Thomas W. Grover and Miss Margaret Grover of 338 Linden street, left Tuesday for Haden Baden, Germany. They expect to make an extended trip. The committee of the second grade of Horace Mann school is to hold a reception and social hour Friday, April 18, at 3:30, in the kindergarten room. The parents and friends of the pupils are invited. Mr. and Mrs. Homer G. Cazel have returned from Olney, Illinois, and are visiting Mr. Cazel's mother, Mrs. L. A. West. They are to stay for ten days before going to Pittsburgh, where they are going to make their home. The little son of Mr. and Mrs. W. P. J. Dinsmore of 655 Elm street, who was so badly injured in a fall a month ago, was brought home from the Evanston hospital Saturday very much improved. The little fellow will be as well as ever in a short time. A petition is being circulated asking that the free delivery system be extended to take in Hubbard Woods and the people in the north section of Winnetka. Additional mail carriers will be needed for this work, and the petition asks this and that the services be put in operation at once. The Winnetka Boys' Club are to give a dance at the Winnetka Woman's club on Friday evening, April 18. The proceeds are to be applied on the purchase of new uniforms for the baseball team. If the boys play as good a game of baseball as they have of indoor ball, some very interesting games will be seen this summer. Rev. J. W. P. Davies of the Congregational church spoke at the New Trier High School on Monday, using as his subject, "Having a Purpose." In the evening Mr. Davies was the speaker at the Belden avenue Baptist church, Chicago. The subject of the evening address was "The Boy and His Class." Miss Pearl Hoyd is no longer in the post office and has returned to her home at Glen Ellyn, Illinois. The post office department has reduced the clerical force in the Winnetka office and Miss Boyd had to be dropped. An auxiliary carrier has been allowed for four hours a day which will relieve the force now on duty. Little Winona Fitzgerald, daughter of Thomas N. Fitzgerald of 508 Cherry street, met with a painful accident last week. While running along the walk in front of M.K. Meyer's store she tripped and fell, striking her forehead on the sidewalk. She was stunned by the blow. Mr. G. B. Walkey picked her up and carried her to Adams' drug store, where he wounds were dressed. After a little rest she was able to walk home accompanied by Mr. Walkey. Community House has installed a good system of fire protection. Standards have been erected and coils of hose in hundred foot lengths in very easily managed racks have been placed in different parts of the building. The water is turned on by turning a valve at each standard and it is the work of but a minute to reach any part of the building. The standards have been so placed that two leads of hose can be run to any part of the house. In addition to this protection, several chemical fire extinguishers have been placed in different parts of the building. The Winnetka Woman's Club are helping the Chicago Half Holiday joint committee to secure a Saturday half holiday for the employees of the State street stores for July and August. As shoppers and permanent customers of the State street stores the people of Chicago and the suburban towns are to a great extent responsible for the right working conditions in the stores which they patronize. The people are asked to write requesting the stores that are not now granting half holidays to join the movement.

[column 3]

Mr. E. J. Schaad and Mr. Peters returned Sunday from a business trip. To Celebrate the campaign for new members which has just ended, Winnetka council, Royal Arcanum, will give a dinner Monday at Community House at 6:30 o'clock. Good entertainers have been engaged. The dinner is to be a stag affair and members will be allowed to bring friends. The recreational committee of the North Shore Juvenile Protection association is perfecting plans for a baseball league and tennis tournament for this summer. The towns of Wilmette, Kenilworth, Hubbard Woods, Winnetka, Glencoe and Highland Park are to be included. Rev. J. W. F. Davies of the Congregational Church is the Winnetka representative in this movement.

Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

What People are Doing in Winnetka