Oldest House on Sheridan Burns
Publication:
Lake Shore News (Wilmette, Illinois), 20 Feb 1913, p. 1


Description
Media Type:
Newspaper
Text
Item Type:
Articles
Date of Publication:
20 Feb 1913
Subject(s):
Personal Name(s):
Ramsay, Gordon A. ; Stickler, Paul
Language of Item:
English
Geographic Coverage:
  • Illinois, United States
    Latitude: 42.07225 Longitude: -87.72284
Copyright Statement:
Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Contact
Wilmette Public Library
Email
WWW address
Agency street/mail address

1242 Wilmette Avenue
Wilmette, IL
60091-2558
U.S.A. Phone: 847-256-6930

Full Text

Residence Owned by Gordon A. Ramsay in Glencoe Burns to the Ground on Saturday Night.

Village Fireman Is Hurt

Stairs of Building Collapses and Carry One of Volunteer Department Through to the Basement.

Saturday night the oldest residence of Sheridan road, located at Glencoe, burned to the ground. The residence was the property of Gordan A. Ramsay. The fire started from an unknown cause Saturday night and before the fire department could arrive on the scene of action the blaze was ell under way and the efforts of the volunteer department were unvailing.

House Stood for Fifty-five Years

The house had stood on Sheridan road for fifty-five years. It was an old ramshackle building spreading over a considerable territory. As was usual with houses at the time this one was built a large turret surmounted the building. There were in the place twenty-three rooms. Mr. Gordon A. Ramsay, the owner, is a lawyer with office in Chicago. He has lived in the house for a considerable length of time. One of the losses of the fire was an old suit of armor that had been secured while the owner was on a European trip. It was valued very highly by Mr. Ramsay and he regretted the loss extremely.

Volunteer Fireman Injured.

During the fire an accident occurred which almost caused the death of two of the fire fighters. Paul Stickler and a comrade were climbing the stairs from the first floor to the second, when the stairs collapsed and the two men were thrown to the basement below. Stickler had his shoulder dislocated, but otherwise suffered no serious damage. His companion escaped injury. The injured man was removed to his home, and will be confined for some time while he recovers from the injury. The estimated loss in the house was $5,000.

Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit




My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.










Oldest House on Sheridan Burns