An alarm of fire was turned in from the residence of George T. Dyer, 1010 Chestnut street, Wilmette, on Monday at 5:45. Quick response and efficient aid from the fire department averted what might have been a disastrous blaze. Some of the members of the family had been up in the garret with a candle looking for squirrel holes, and left the candle on a rafter. The roof soon caught fire and before the blaze was extinguished burned a hole about four feet square. Very little damage from water resulted, and the total loss was slight.