Dr. C. G. Davis in fore ranks of medical field
- Wilmette Life (Wilmette, Illinois), 16 Nov 1928, p. 41
- Full Text
Funeral services were held on Saturday, November 3, for Dr. Charles Gilbert Davis, prominent Chicago physician, who died at his home here on October 31. Burial was at Rosehill. Dr. Davis is survived by his widow, Mrs. Caroline Davis, two sons, Dr. Carl B. Davis and Dr. George G. Davis, and two daughters, Ann Jerrill and Caroline.
Dr. Davis was born in Clay county, Missouri, on October 14, 1849, the son of Dr. George W. and Mary Brooks Davis, At the age of seventeen years, he was graduated from the Western Christian university at Ottumwa, Kans. He then studied in the Cincinnati Eclectic Medical institute from which he was graduated. In 1873 he received his M. D. degree from the University of Virginia, being graduated with highest honors. For one year he was assistant physician at the Quarantine hospital, at St. Mary, Mo., and was made M. D. ad eunden by the Missouri Medical college.
After practicing for one year at Mulberry, Mo., Dr. Davis came to Chicago in 1876, and has been in practice in this city ever since. In 1892 and 1893 he studied in France and during that time was closely associated with the great French surgeon, Pacan. Several years ago he received the honorary degree of Doctor of Laws from the Chicago Law school.
In 1876 Dr. Davis was united in marriage with Miss Isabelle Brandon of Lawrence, Kan. To this union two sons were born, both of whom survive and follow the profession of their father--Dr. Carl B. Davis, surgeon on the staff of the Presbyterian hospital, Chicago, and Dr. George G. Davis, engaged in the general practice of medicine on the south side. In 1904 Dr. Davis married Miss Caroline May Doggett, who survives, with the two daughters of this union, Ann Jerrill, a student in Northwestern university, and Caroline Gilbert who is in high school.
Dr. Davis had wide interests in the practice of his profession. He was an ex-attending physician at the Cook County hospital; for years he conducted a clinic at the Lakeside hospital; he owned and maintained a large mineral spring resort in Gunnison county, Col., and for a number of years he had taken a large group of his patients and friends to that place for a few weeks in the summer. He was one of the first to use the law of suggestion in the practice of medicine. He was a pioneer also in the use of radium and intravenous injections of radium water.
Dr. Davis was a frequent contributor to the journals of medical science. Besides these articles he wrote short treatises on varied subjects. Among them there are the following: "The Philosophy of Life," "Why Not Now?", "The Conflict of Conscience," "The Child and the Republic," and others.
Among the organizations of which he was a member there are: The American Medical association, the Illinois Medical association, the Chicago Medical society, the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the Press club and the Art Institute, and the Illinois Athletic club. He was a 32 degree Mason, a Shriner, and a member of the Sons of the American Revolution. IN religious belief, he was a Presbyterian.
Dr. Davis maintained his office in the Garland building at 58 East Washington street, Chicago. For many years his home was on the south side, but two years ago he moved to Wilmette, where he resided at 615 Laurel avenue.
- Media Type:
- Item Types:
- Date of Publication:
- 16 Nov 1928
- Personal Name(s):
- Brandon, Isabelle ; Davis, Ann ; Davis, Carl ; Davis, Caroline ; Davis, Charles ; Davis, George ; Davis, Isabelle ; Davis, Mary ; Doggett, Caroline
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
Illinois, United States
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Wilmette Public Library
Agency street/mail address
1242 Wilmette Avenue