Joseph Arns taken by death this week
- Wilmette Life (Wilmette, Illinois), 29 Feb 1924, p. 4
- Full Text
Joseph Arns, a resident of Wilmette for the past 37 years and a former justice of the peace in New Trier township, passed away Wednesday, February 27, at his home at 325 Park avenue, following an illness of four years’ duration.
Services are to be held from the home to St. Francis Xavier church on Saturday morning, March 1, and burial will be at Memorial Park.
Mr. Arns, through his activities as a justice of the peace over a period of about 20 years enjoyed a wide acquaintance on the north shore and particularly in Wilmette. He was born at Reil, County Trier, on the River Mosel in Germany, August 10, 1856, and came to America in 1866 and settled in Chicago, coming to Wilmette in 1886. He learned the cigar manufacturing business at the age of fourteen years and was engaged in the work for several years. As a young man he displayed market talent in music and was particularly proficient on the violin and cornet. Upon his arrival in Wilmette he abandoned music as a profession and secured a position in the county clerk’s offices which he retained until recent years.
He was elected justice of the peace in New Trier township in 1895.
Mr. Arns is survived by his widow Gertrude Neckel Arns, five sons William J., of Cleveland, Peter J., of Eagle River, Wis.; Louis, of Evanston; George and Joseph Jr. of Wilmette; and seven daughters, Mrs. Tillie Hoth of Wilmette; Mrs. Harry Patrick of Winter Garden, Fla.; Mrs. P. C. Borre of Evanston; Sophia, Emma, Florence and Alice of Wilmette.
- Media Type:
- Genealogical Resource
- Item Types:
- Death notices
- Date of Publication:
- 29 Feb 1924
- Personal Name(s):
- Arns, Alice ; Arns, Emma ; Arns, Florence ; Arns, Gertrude ; Arns, George ; Arns, Joseph ; Arns, Louis ; Arns, Peter ; Arns, Sophia ; Arns, Willam ; Borre, P.C. Mrs. ; Hoth, Matilda ; Patrick, Harry Mrs.
- Local identifier:
- From the collection of the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
Illinois, United States
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Digital images may be used with credit to Wilmette Public Library.
Wilmette Public Library
Agency street/mail address
1242 Wilmette Avenue