Loyola Academy: Cheerleading Squad qualified for the IHSA State series
- Wilmette Life (Wilmette, Illinois), 9 Apr 2009, p. 24, 30
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Full article available at Wilmette Public Library.
- Varsity Cheerleading Squad qualified for the IHSA State Series held at Illinois State University on Feb. 6 and 7, placing 21st overall in the Large Varsity Division.
• The Fathers' Club hosted its traditional Mother/Student Mass and Breakfast on March 8. Chaired by Michael Ryan of Golf, nearly 175 people attended. Loyola Rector Rev. Richard H. McGurn, S.J. presided with Joanell McKenna of Kenilworth and her daughter, Marielle '09, delivering the first and second readings and Andrew Bredemann '09 of Wilmette delivering the petitions. Campus Minister Doug Gleber of Mundelein organized the Mass and music with singers Jacqueline Boratyn '10 of Chicago (60631), Emelia Gleber '11 of Mundelein, Luke McLoughlin '11 and Mark McLoughlin '12 of Chicago (60656), Amanda Smith '12 of Glenview and Caroline Williams '11 of Wilmette. .
• Loyola students celebrated Diversity Week in February, focusing on the theme, "Gender: Does It Still Matter?" Presenters included Claire Noonan, executive director of the Sienna Center at Dominican University and Jackie Beale del Vecchio, the spiritual director at the Ignatian Volunteer Corps, Eric Johnson of the Better Boys Foundation, Elizabeth Wahlstrom-Helgren and Courtney Alexander of DePaul University. Panel participants included seniors Marco Alvarado of Winnetka, Julia Coffou of Chicago (60611), Caitlin Desmond of Winnetka, John Dolan of Northfield, Liza Elman of Chicago (60657), Kevin Ford of Evanston, Catherine Groden of Glenview, Chris Marchechi of Chicago (60645), Ciara McHugh of Chicago (60646), Clare Nelson-Johnson of Wilmette, Mary Oshana of Skokie, Bill Peterson of Evanston, Paul Sciortino of Wilmette and Sara Shaaban of Evanston and Religious Studies teacher Michael Conforti of Chicago (60645), Fine Arts teacher Cathleen Cramer of Chicago (60622), Math teacher Nichol Hooker of Chicago (60618), religious studies teacher Mary LaMont of Des Plaines and Spanish teacher Tania Lopez of Chicago (60659). The week culminated on Friday with International Night. Performers included Campus Minister Sarah B. Kennedy of Chicago (60640) and security guard Beatrice Shoular of Chicago (60651), Ashley Coleman '11 of Evanston, Brittany McCray '12 of Chicago (60623), religious studies teacher Mr. Mark Chang of Chicago (60640), Spanish teacher Tania Lopez of Chicago (60659), science teacher Faye Ahn of Skokie.
• Loyola's Music Department presented its annual pops voncert on Feb. 8, raising more than $5,000 for the choir's spring trip to Vienna and Prague. The Jazz Band, Concert Band, Symphonic Band and Percussion Ensemble were led by Band Director Corey Ames of Grayslake. The Contemporary Vocal Ensemble with soloist Jasmine Jordan '11 of Chicago (60610); Men for Others with soloist Timothy Worley '09 of Lincolnwood; Concert Choir with the ensemble of Alma Castillo '11 of Chicago (60651), Michael Felish '11 of Wilmette and Kelly Poniatowski '10 of Chicago (60656) and soloist Samuel Kwakye '11 of Chicago (60640); and Chorale with soloists Aylin Bayramoglu '10 of Chicago (60659), Lia Hoag '10 of Inverness, Maggie McCoy '10 of Glenview, Nely Rentas '10 of Chicago (60630), Tara Tarazi '11 of Glenview and Celine Witherell '10 of Chicago (60625) and the ensemble of Alexandra Bischoff '11 of Winnetka, Monica Finn '11 of Glenview, Lia Hoag '10 of Inverness and Shana Sanchez '11 of Evanston were all led by Choir Director Lauren Bonner of Lincolnshire. The String Ensemble; Honors Chamber Ensemble with soloists Katie In '09 of Morton Grove, Kathleen McDonnell '10 of Libertyville and Lindsay Mecher '10 of Chicago (60631) and the ensemble of Eric Diaz '09 of Mundelein, Liza Elman '09 of Chicago (60657) and Andrea Rehani '09 of Northbrook; and Symphony Orchestra were led by Orchestra Director Therese Parisoli of Glenview. Kevin Wood was the keyboard accompanist.
Musicians who participated in the IHSA Solo and Ensemble Competition on March 7 at Lake Zurich High School: Dave Frey '10 of Chicago (60631), Liza Elman '09 of Chicago (60657), Christopher Marcheschi '09 of Chicago (60645), Elana Maloul '11 of Skokie, Luke McLoughlin '11 of Chicago (60656), Mark McLoughlin '09 of Chicago (60656) and Caroline Williams '11 of Wilmette, Alma Castillo '11 of Chicago (60651), Julia Cormier '11 of Glenview, Helenna Harty '10 of Skokie, Susie Kim '10 of Lake Villa, Katie Weicher '10 of Arlington Heights and Caroline Williams '11 of Wilmette. Jeremy Andrin '12 of Golf and Fkrti Negassi '10 of Chicago (60640)
• Glenview Art League's Art Show held on Feb. 28. Elin Wojciechowski '11 of Glenview took first prize and Best of Show. Christine Ryan '10 of Golf and Gretchen Selzer '09 of Glenview were both awarded second prizes and Abel Zerazion '09 of Evanston was awarded fourth prize.
• On March 25, the Architecture Club travelled to NBC Tower in Chicago to view a carefully designed simulation of the Chicago Spire Condominiums and the $120,000 model of the Spire in Europe.
• Loyola's Thespian Troupe named a National Finalist for the American High School Theatre Festival at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival in 2010. Fine Arts Chair and Thespian moderator Faye A. Ryan of Chicago (60626) will travel to Scotland this year to meet with the other high school theater directors and plan for 2010.
• Theology teacher Timothy J. Martin's of Chicago (60626) article, "Illuminating the Landscape of Religious Narrative: Morality, Dramatization and Verticality," will be published in the July 2009 issue of the Journal of the Religious Education Association.
- Date of Publication:
- 9 Apr 2009
- Corporate Name(s):
- Loyola Academy
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
Illinois, United States
- Copyright Statement:
- Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Wilmette Public Library
Agency street/mail address
1242 Wilmette Avenue