New Trier: Workshop Monday
- Wilmette Life (Wilmette, Illinois), 29 Jan 2009, p. 34, 35
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Full article available at Wilmette Public Library.
- The Board of Education will hold a special workshop meeting at 6 p.m., Monday in room 234, Building C, Northfield Campus, 7 Happ Road. The public is invited to attend. At this meeting, the board will receive further analysis of the Long Range Facilities Plan on both the Winnetka and Northfield campuses.
• To educate students and parents on the opportunities of a "GAP Year" -- a year following high school graduation in which students delay college entrance in favor of other kinds of experiences -- the New Trier Post-High School Counseling Department will sponsor a "GAP Fair" from 1 to 4 p.m., Saturday, Jan. 31, in the Student Cafeteria and McGee Theatre, Winnetka Campus, 385 Winnetka Avenue.
Featured speakers include: Holly Bull, from the Center for Interim Studies, Princeton, N. J. In addition, four Class of 2008 students who chose GAP Years will highlight their experiences: Ben Parker -- Western US semester, Nepal semester; Charlie Dwyer -- Two China semesters; Ben Wilcox -- Spain semester, India semester; and Ellie Canade -- Tanzania semester.
• Community volunteers are being sought for New Trier's Senior Project
• The public is invited to celebrate dance at New Trier by attending the annual Kinesis Dance Concert at 7:30 p.m. Jan. 29 and 30 in the Cornog Auditorium, Northfield Campus, 7 Happ Road.
Kinesis Dance Company is New Trier's capstone dance ensemble and provides an opportunity for junior and senior dancers to choreograph and perform their own work. This year, a new entire-company dance has been commissioned by Michelle Kranicke of Zephyr Dance in Chicago.
• The 26th annual New Trier High School Jazz Festival will be held Saturday, Feb. 7, at the Winnetka Campus
The evening concert is sold out but will be broadcast live on local cable TV, the Internet, and WNTH (88.1 FM).
The evening concert will open with the New Trier High School Jazz Ensemble I. They will present the world premiere performance of a piece arranged specifically for that evening of the song entitled, "Pure Imagination" from the movie Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. The piece was commissioned by the New Trier Fine Arts Association and the Music Department in recognition of the retirement of James Warrick as director of the school's jazz ensemble program after 34 years of teaching. The rhythm section of the Count Basie Orchestra will perform "Avenue C" with the New Trier Jazz Ensemble. The high school's portion of the program will end with a piece entitled "NOLA's Lament and NOLA's Return," which will be introduced by Elijah Brimmer, band director at Cohen High School in New Orleans.
The evening will conclude with the Count Basie Orchestra directed by Bill Hughes.
- Date of Publication:
- 29 Jan 2009
- Corporate Name(s):
- New Trier Township High School
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
Illinois, United States
- Copyright Statement:
- Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Wilmette Public Library
Agency street/mail address
1242 Wilmette Avenue