Central School: School opens today
- Wilmette Life (Wilmette, Illinois), 28 Aug 2008, p. 20, 21
- Media Type:
- Item Types:
- Full article available at Wilmette Public Library.
- Central School opens its doors today (Aug. 28) for the 2008-09 school year.
• Parents who don't drop off their forms this morning can check the Clarion (a copy was included in each student's teacher-assignment packet) or go online to find order forms for the yearbook ($17), PTA membership dues ($25, including a copy of the school directory) and school-spirit apparel.
• A meeting for Head Room parents is scheduled for 9:15 a.m. Wednesday in the cafeteria.
• Curriculum nights have been scheduled so parents may meet their children's teachers:
• School officials encourage students to walk to school whenever possible. Under village ordinance, dogs are prohibited on school property as well as on sidewalks and parkways touching school property.
The school has put some bicycle rules in place. Only third- and fourth-graders may bring their bikes to school. Second-grade students may bring their bikes to school only after participating in safety training in May 2009.
• This year's parent handbook is available at wilmette39.org/central on the Web.
• Club Central registration is scheduled to begin Sept. 5. Registration is due Sept. 15. Club Central is an after-school PTA enrichment program open to all first- through fourth-graders. The clubs will include chess, Young Rembrandts, Mad Science, scrapbook making, Amazing Minds and more.
• The first PTA Meeting is scheduled for 9:15 a.m. Sept. 17 in the school cafeteria.
• Parents can join Principal Melanie Horowitz in the school library and media center for Book Banter, featuring discussions on topics that affect home and school.
• The international club, scheduled to begin in September, is open to anyone with an international background or an interest in international culture and celebrations.
• Parents interested in helping out with garden recess (11:45 a.m. to 12:55 p.m. during fall and spring months) may send e-mail to Marcia Leadholm
• The fourth-grade graduation committee is seeking a volunteer for each fourth-grade class to collect digital photographs for the fourth-grade DVD.
• The school carnival is scheduled from 3-5 p.m. Sept. 20.
• Picture day is scheduled for Sept. 23.
• Tickets may be ordered now for the Kelly Miller Circus; performances are scheduled for 4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Sept. 26 at the field behind the Mikaelian Education Center, at 615 Locust Road.
• Central's first early dismissal day is scheduled for 11:30 a.m. Sept. 29.
- Date of Publication:
- 28 Aug 2008
- Corporate Name(s):
- Central Elementary School
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
Illinois, United States
- Copyright Statement:
- Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Wilmette Public Library
Agency street/mail address
1242 Wilmette Avenue