Herman Schuman is victim of carbon monoxide poisoning
- Wilmette Life (Wilmette, Illinois), 23 Aug 1929, p. 6
- Full Text
Carbon monoxide gas from the motor of his car, running idle in the garage of his home, claimed the life of Herman Schuman, 501 Laurel avenue, Wilmette, last Tuesday morning, despite the efforts of physicians and an inhalator squad from the Wilmette Fire department who sought for more than an hour to revive him.
Mr. Schuman was found slumped over the steering wheel of his machine by two gardeners, George Schmidt, residing on Henly avenue, Glenview, and William van Genny, 1230 Wilmette avenue, who had gone to the garage for tools shortly after 8 o’clock.
The Wilmette Police department was notified of the accident and Officers Popple and Schneider detailed to the home. The inhalator squad followed immediately as did Doctors B. L. Mitchell and Lester E. Mee but all efforts at resuscitation proved futile.
The body was removed to the Scott Funeral parlors in the police ambulance under the direction of Supt. of Police Henry Brautigan, and a coroner’s inquest conducted Tuesday afternoon. A verdict of accidental death caused by carbon monoxide poisoning, was returned by the coroner’s jury.
Funeral services were conducted Thursday afternoon from the chapel at 4911 Broadway, Chicago, with interment at the Austria-Hungarian cemetery at Waldheim.
Mr. Schuman is survived by his widow, Mrs. Dora Schuman, five children, Marian, Jack, Ruth, Frances and Helen; his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Nathan Schuman; two sisters, Mrs. Ethel Berger and Lillian Schuman, and three brothers, Samuel, Isadore and Abe Schuman.
- Media Type:
- Item Types:
- Date of Publication:
- 23 Aug 1929
- Personal Name(s):
- Schuman, Herman
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
Illinois, United States
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Wilmette Public Library
Agency street/mail address
1242 Wilmette Avenue