Mrs. Mary E. Springer, widow of the late Milton C. Springer, for many years chief deputy collector of the Internal Revenue department in Chicago and mother of former State Representative Lewis B. Springer, passed away Saturday morning, July 30, at her residence, 707 Central avenue, Wilmette.
She was born August 11, 1845, near Harvard, McHenry county, Ill., but for more than half a century had resided on the north shore, in the growth and development of which both Mrs. Springer and her husband figured conspicuously.
She was the oldest living graduate of Northwestern university, being a member of the class of 1865, while Mr. Springer was a member of the class which graduated from that institution the previous year.
Charter Church Member
Mrs. Springer was a charter member of the Wilmette Methodist church, organized in 1873 and through her long and active life was a recognized leader in religious and educational movements as well as lending her aid and support in the development of the higher civic ideals which have made the north shore what it is today. Despite her advanced years, Mrs. Springer maintained her interest and activities in these matters until the very end. It was no later than June 18, last, that she attended a reunion of the Alumni of Northwestern university, hapy [sic] and jubilant at the opportunity of again being able to mingle with the members of this society so dear to her. On the following Sunday, in her usual good health she was at her accustomed place of worship in the Wilmette Parish Methodist church. Retained Remarkable Vigor That week, her health began to fail, and on the following Saturday she was taken to the hospital. After two weeks, her physician advised that she be returned to her home, that the end was near, and peacefully she passed away on Saturday, July 30. Her death was due to infirmities incident to her advanced age. Not alone does the north shore lay claim to the life work of Mrs. Springer and her late husband. In 1866, the year following her graduation from Northwestern university, she was united in marriage to Mr. Springer. He was at that time president of Hedding college, at Abingdon, Ill., where Mrs. Springer also became a member of the faculty, as an instructor of art. In September, 1872, almost fifty-five years ago, Mr. and Mrs. Springer moved to the north shore, locating at Glencoe, where they resided until May of the following year, when they moved to Wilmette, which continued to be their home until death. Pioneer Church Worker Ms. Springer's activity in church work of the village began immediately upon her taking up her residence in Wilmette. Union services were then being held in the little one-room schoolhouse at Central avenue and Tenth street, conducted by Dr. Hemmingway, who, at that time, was one of the professors at the Garrett Biblical Institute. The following winter the Wilmette Methodist Church, with Mrs. Springer as a charter member, was organized. The only other surviving charter members of that society are Mrs. Samuel M. Dingee and Mrs. William Panushka, both of whom are now residents of Wilmette, but neither of whom were at home at the time of Mrs. Springer's death nor at the time of the funeral. Mrs. Springer was also a charter member of the Woman's club of Wilmette, in the activities of which she maintained an active interest. Five children survive: Lewis B. Springer, 400? Maple avenue; George W. Springer, 724 Forest avenue; Mary C. Springer and Mrs. Charles W. Mack, 707 Central avenue, all of Wilmette, and Frank V. Springer, San Francisco. Cal.
Bishop Hughes in Tribute
Services for Mrs. Springer were held at the Wilmette Parish Methodist church, Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock, preceded by a brief service for the family at the residence. The service at the home was conducted by Dr. Daniel Sticker, of Wilmette, now retired from the ministry but who is instructor of Mrs. Springer's Bible school class. The services at the church were conducted by Bishop Edwin H. Hughes of the Methodist denomination and the pastor, Dr. Horace G. Smith. The music was by Mr. and Mrs. Edwin Kemp, the former being a nephew of Mrs. Springer. Burial was at Rosehill cemetery, the pall bearers being Harry W. Mons, Frank L. Millington, Lewis E. Larson, Albert J. Nystrom, Adam W. Crawford, and Charles C. Carnahan.